HOUSING AUTHORITY OF THE CITY OF HARTFORD
TITLE: HVAC Skill Trades Maintenance Mechanic
DEPARTMENT: Skill Trades
SUPERVISOR: Field Operations Manager
Performs skilled HVAC work in the maintenance, repair and renovation of Authority buildings, housing units and facilities, including HVAC. Performs general maintenance work and related work as required.
This is a full-time position with benefits.
- Works with the Field Operations Manager to carry out work order assignments to ensure prompt turnaround of all work o
- Works with Finance and the Field Operations Manager to outsource their services to other entities.
- Assists in planning work according to activity, seasonal or emergency needs within work assignment. Assists in scheduling, assignment and supervision of all emergency, routine and preventive maintenance work.
- Assists in vacancy preparation process. Performs general maintenance work, including, but not limited to HVAC, etc.
- Performs work and supervises workers in a variety of building maintenance and custodial activities requiring a journeyman's license, and inspects buildings and grounds to determine if work is required.
- Responsible for maintenance, repairs and cleanliness of assigned vehicle(s) and equipment.
- Performs general maintenance work as needed, including, but not limited to grass cutting and snow removal.
- Conducts HUD REAC inspections as directed by the Field Operations Manager
- Inspects, repairs, installs, modifies and maintains HVAC systems.
- Coordinates work with the Field Operations Manager, Property Manager, maintenance employees and/or tenants
- Performs skilled HVAC work throughout the properties of the Authority.
- Fills out work orders neatly and accurately in English.
- Assists in scheduling work and making assignments to subordinates daily and assigns workforce to specific sites under his/her jurisdiction.
- Informs superiors on work progress and on any conditions/situations which should be called to their attention.
- Situations warranting declaration of emergency are reported immediately.
- Follows all applicable safety procedures
- May assume responsibility in the absence of the Field Operations Manager.
- Maintains strict confidentiality on restricted information.
- Responds to emergencies as required.
- Performs other related duties as requested.
- High school diploma or GED, and completion of vocational technical school program in the trade, and fulfillment of recognized apprenticeship program required.
- Five years’ experience at the journeyman level of the trade required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered at the sole discretion of the Authority.
- Working knowledge of requirements of HUD and the State of Connecticut in the maintenance of housing properties.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of national, state and local regarding HVAC.
- Demonstrated knowledge of building code conformance standards.
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose defects and hazards in new and existing environmental control systems.
- Demonstrated ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagrammatic form.
- Demonstrated ability to add subtract, multiply or divide all units of measure.
- Demonstrated ability to describe in writing repair or maintenance problems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the tools, materials, and methods of the respective trade.
- Demonstrated ability to work in poor weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain and snow.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude and mental alertness.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, tenants and the public. This includes maintaining a positive professional attitude in representing the proper image of the agency at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve and maintain a satisfactory attendance record, as defined by the Attendance Policy.
CERTIFICATE/LICENSE: Valid Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator's License. HTG Heating, Piping, Cooling Unlimited Journey person license required
SEDENTARY (requires lifting 10 lbs., carrying small objects)
LIGHT (requires lifting 20 lbs., with frequent carrying of up to 20 lbs.)
MEDIUM (requires lifting 50 lbs., with frequent carrying of up to 25 lbs.)
HEAVY (requires lifting 100 lbs., with frequent carrying of up to 50 lbs.)
VERY HEAVY (requires lifting over 100 lbs., such as moving furniture) X
CODES: C = Continuously, F = Frequently, O = Occasionally, and R = Rarely
A. Standing F H. Reaching F O. Crawling O
B. Sitting F I. Handling F P. Bending F
C. Walking F J. Fine Dexterity F Q. Twisting O
D. Lifting O K. Kneeling F R. Climbing O
E. Carrying O L. Crouching F S. Balancing O
F. Pushing/Pulling F M. Foot Controls O T. Vision C
G. Hearing C N. Talking F U. Other
"The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified."
Department Head Date
Director of Human Resources Date
Acknowledgment: This is to acknowledge that I have read and understand and accept this job description as a condition of my employment at the Hartford Housing Authority.
Union: Local # 1161